Sunday, August 5, 2012

Will the Circle be Unbroken?


I was born and raised in the Rust Belt. My parents instilled the notion of working hard and being honest and polite. As I began working, those principles seemed to be the best way to stay out of trouble and keep a job.

I spent years believing those basic principles would somehow lead me to a deserving future. My reasoning was people would recognize those strengths and somehow my efforts would be justly honored.

Photo used courtesy of: Tony Fischer Photography.
It certainly wasn’t the case once I was hired in a factory. Employees were just a cog in the wheel, nothing more. The expectations were to produce as much as you and a machine could yield. Anything less in production was grounds for a tongue lashing from the boss and if production didn’t improve you would be fired. If you met or exceeded expectations- the only guarantee was more of the same and a paycheck.

Most of the people I worked with drank alcohol to escape from reality. I was no exception. It was far easier for people to drown their misery, dreams and future with alcohol or drugs. Many of my co-workers lived in poverty, didn’t have a GED, or any hope for a better future. Most of those workers lived on the poor side of town.

They had resigned themselves to a dead-end job and a lifestyle of disease and early death- all for a lowly paycheck! Their kids would become part of the vicious cycle; often dropping out of high school in order to receive a weekly paycheck at the same factory Dad worked; purchase a souped-up car with big tires and soon marry their pregnant girlfriend.
Will the Circle be Unbroken?
Eventually, I landed a non-factory job and received a promotion to become part of management. I thought my hard work had finally paid-off. I was excited to implement my ideas and improve the functionality within the area of my responsibility and possibly further improve employee relations.

My excitement slowly turned to dust when I approached my boss with ideas and he just looked at me and changed the topic entirely. After attempting to get his approval several more times, I learned to do whatever I could change on my own to improve processes.

The realization that I was just a cog in the wheel and nothing more led me to believe it was his style of management. Do what you are asked and you will be rewarded with a paycheck and benefits. If you attempt to innovate, stand-out or create change, you become a problem.

Sadly, it has taken me years to understand the true nature of this concept. I was naive and wanted to believe I could make a difference. I spent years wondering why any business would operate in this fashion with so much at stake. Why wouldn’t you want to be all you could be?

What I learned is the same concept that infiltrated the manufacturing industry was no different in the non-industrial workplace. The exchange of a paycheck for hours of conforming was all that is required. Nothing less, nor anything greater is appreciated. Mediocrity- at it's finest!

I believe we can do better. We must do better or our businesses will suffer the same fate of the dying “industrial age.” An outdated business model that served to pigeon-holed employees to be a “cog in the wheel” and nothing more- ensures our failure to innovate and implement change within existing businesses. It negates our ability to create a new working business model that rewards effectiveness and linchpin behavior. 

If you are just working for a paycheck, you’re really not living.

Trading time for pay- solely to exist- isn’t our future!

Until We Meet Again,
 Jim Carver Author: The Legacy of David A. Wells-

The Lexington High School “Band of Gold”
Something Meaningful that Matters!
www.successthroughmusic.com
www.bestofvegaswebsite.com
www.paradisefitgranola.com

No comments:

Post a Comment