Sunday, October 7, 2012

One Powerful Little Lesson!


Years ago, my sponsor suggested I do something positive towards someone else’s life. He asked that I perform this feat at least three times daily and if the person found out about the deed, the attempt did not count.

The point of the exercise served to:

·        Avoid selfish thinking by focusing on others.

·        Become selfless, by helping others.

·        See the people, situations and the world in a different light.

·        Understand how lucky we are and grateful we should be.

·        Realize the power we have in making a difference in someone’s life.

·        Give me something to do in my free time to prevent boredom.

·        Replace bad habits with positive results.

At the time, I didn’t realize the full potential of trying this experiment (probably since I was too selfishly focused on my own needs). The idea sounded neat and it has been a “special tip” that I’ve managed to carry throughout my life.

I love using this technique on total strangers. I sometimes stick around to witness the look of surprise on the faces of the people affected by an act of generosity. It is beyond words to see the gratitude on their faces (and not knowing who to thank).

Several years ago, I was in a hospital cafeteria and a grieving family came into the room to purchase a meal. It was clear someone in their family had just passed away. The family were sobbing and weeping profusely . They could barely hold onto their trays and frankly, the family did not appear to be financially blessed. I felt so bad for this woman and her children.

I felt moved to do something.  

I carefully drifted over to the cashier and subtly asked her to put the entire amount of the family’s bill onto my tab. I walked out of the cafeteria at least feeling a little better for that family. It was all I could do.

Months later, someone in management mentioned witnessing the event that day, but didn’t know my name. It was nice to hear (through my wife) how this grieving family was taken by surprise in their time of sorrow and how my act momentarily lifted their spirits.

 
You see, it doesn’t take three business degrees, a fancy title or a millionaire in order to make a difference in someone's life.

It only requires our focus to change a moment in someone’s life and leave an unforgettable impression.

That one powerful little lesson Brad asked me to follow thirty years ago is still reaping rewards.

Thank you- Brad (wherever you are)!

When was the last time you secretly helped someone?

Try it- It’s worth it!

Until We Meet Again,
 Jim Carver

Author: The Legacy of David A. Wells- The Lexington High School “Band of Gold”
Something Meaningful that Matters!

www.successthroughmusic.com


Disclaimer- Books and links on this website contain affiliate marketing sources between Jim Carver and third party companies. I only recommend products, brands and businesses that I strongly support. Photos used on this site are used courtesy of the original authors and in no way endorse The Rust Belt Chronicles or my work. Thank you.

 

4 comments:

  1. Great Post, Jim! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jim - this is probably the most powerful thing any of us can do and the beauty of it is that any one of us can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we can and should try on a daily basis. Imagine how much nicer the world might be. Thanks for your insight! Jim

      Delete