Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What Flows Through Your Life?


I’ve had a leaking toilet with rusted bolts for some time. My lizard brain tried to ignore the problem but the new parts had been purchased a week ago and my wife wasn’t about to cut me any slack.  So, I spoke with a friend the other day, who offered some simple plumbing advice. His good natured disposition is always genuine, so who better than to ask a few questions?

Dan discussed a few probabilities I might collide with:

·        The repair would take longer than expected.

·        Something might take an unexpected twist (pun intended).

·        It’s easy to become frustrated and overreact, causing bigger problems.

·        Take your time and pace yourself.

·        If you become frustrated, take a break, go for a walk, clear your mind.

I thought he somehow had witnessed my previous handyman duties of toilet repair. I was amazed to find out most people (even plumbers) experience the same anxiety and frustration during latrine repair. The repair experience for me rates a notch below going to the dentist.

The hope was to complete the toilet bowl repair in a couple of hours. It took 4-5 hours. Instruction manuals with too small of print and no references in the small photos of the names of the parts were frustrating. Nor did it help matters by purchasing an entire different style of system (Fluid Master) than I normally do. If it wasn’t for my wife deciphering the instruction manual it could have gotten ugly.

I took breaks when I was tired or frustrated and attempted to take my time. I couldn’t stop a slow leak from one of the bowl bolts, because I over tightened one of the screws. The leak is at least slower than before I attempted the repair.

Looks like I will get Dan’s input and some new rubber washers in a few days.

The advice Dan gave me are solid virtues for anything we do in our daily lives.

·        Patience

·        Persistence

·        Focus

·        Relax

·        Rejuvenate

Sometimes we make the simplest tasks incredibly difficult.

Thanks Dan- for your wisdom and advice.

What flows through your life?
Until We Meet Again,
 Jim Carver
Author: The Legacy of David A. Wells- The Lexington High School “Band of Gold”
Something Meaningful that Matters!

www.successthroughmusic.com

Disclaimer- Books and links on this website contain affiliate marketing sources between Jim Carver and third party companies. I only recommend products, brands and businesses that I strongly support. Photos used on this site are used courtesy of the original authors and in no way endorse The Rust Belt Chronicles or my work. Thank you.

6 comments:

  1. Haha Jim - great tips for anything we have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your input. I am humbled. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I be so bold as to add one to your list?

    * partnership

    ( gotta give the shout out for the wives hovering over a potty with a manual )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim, thanks for the great post! I was giggling and laughing at your story - love the great lessons learned on virtues. Thank you for the fun read and wisdom Jim.
    Live Beyond Awesome!
    Jen
    Twitter: @TheIronJen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen,
      Thank you for the nice comments and reading my blog.I am glad you enjoyed it! Jim

      Delete