Saturday, January 26, 2013

Living on the Edge of Freedom?


“Are you paralyzed with fear? That’s a good sign. Fear is good. Like self-doubt, fear is an indicator. Fear tells us what we have to do. Remember one rule of thumb: the more scared we are of a work or calling, the more sure we can be that we have to do it.”
Steven Pressfield, The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles


For some reason about a week a week ago, I realized by blogging was suffering. Sometimes it was due to rushing to post an article and tossing some ideas out to quickly. I took a few days off from blogging hoping my writing process would become fresh again. After all, attempting to post material daily isn’t as easy as it appears.
After I wrote another blog, I still wasn’t satisfied. Then it hit me. It’s tough to describe, but once you become accustomed to holding back and censoring your own thoughts; it tends to become a habit. It hinders you from your doing best work.
Once I realized the problem (fear), I experimented by writing a blog without fear of retribution. I was stunned by how powerful my posts became instantly. It turns out this stifling style affected my writing for some time. I hadn’t felt this much writing energy since my first book.
Part of the problem was listening to other people’s advice: “You better watch out” or “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” No you wouldn’t, you sell yourself short daily by not taking chances. You’ll complain, cry or through a temper tantrum, but you will never stand-up for yourself or others.
Besides, freedom of speech is a guaranteed right of our Constitution. If we can’t or won’t express ourselves is it any wonder that tyranny has become the norm?
While some people mean well by believing they’re offering “time tested advice” the truth is the advice originated from the Industrial Age mindset of “Don’t rock the boat”, “Keep your mouth shut” and my favorite- “Just do your job.” Those words of wisdom worked for 100 years in a system built upon conformity and compliance. In today’s new connection economy, we need to do the exact opposite of yesteryear.
Following my own advice, I was picked by Bloggers.com as one of the ‘Editors Pick of the Day’ out of thousands of bloggers. That little reward gave me the extra edge and confidence to open up my writing and write more effectively. I was asked to post a guest blog and by allowing my own blogs to resonate without hesitation my audience has increased some days by 25%. Kicking my fears out the door is making a difference.
If you want to find your edge, start dealing with your own state of denial. What holds you back from becoming a warrior and doing your best work? Discover the reason why you hesitate and confront it head-on. Lock that little monkey out of your head.
We only get one life here on earth and it passes quickly. Don’t sell yourself short and spend your time ‘just getting by.’ Life is too precious to waste your strengths, time and energy seeking mediocrity. Worse yet, you may never know your true calling!
Until We Meet Again,
 Jim Carver
Author: The Legacy of David A. Wells- The Lexington High School “Band of Gold”
Something Meaningful that Matters!

www.successthroughmusic.com
Disclaimer- Books and links on this website contain affiliate marketing sources between Jim Carver and third party companies. I only recommend products, brands and businesses that I strongly support. Photos used on this site are used courtesy of the original authors and in no way endorse The Rust Belt Chronicles or my work. Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent! Keep it up. Very inspirational

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Writing daily is very hard. You are constantly wondering if your sacrificing quality. I wrote for 12 days straight during Christmas. It was difficult, but our traffic increased and it became easier. We all battle fear of failure or rejection. Thanks for bring up this topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn,
      Thank you for your kind comment and input.I've found when I write and tune-out whatever thoughts restrict me or cause hesitancy improves the thought process invariably.Fear keeps us from putting forth our best work. Rejection is just another chance to improve.
      I am glad you stopped by The Rust Belt and took the time to comment.
      Sincerely,
      Jim Carver

      Delete