Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Art of Self-Publishing


Ever Consider Writing and Self-Publishing?

Note: I am revisiting and updating my blog from July 2010 on self-publishing to offer some advice from one of my readers. Enjoy!
First, consider learning everything you can about the publishing business. There are many companies who will attempt to take advantage of your lack of knowledge concerning the book industry and publishing. These “sharks” will have you paying a large sum of money to print, store and sell your book. They will ask you to sign a contract, which will give them the rights to your book and this will prohibit you from earning money. In the end, the disappointment will likely lead you to never write another book again.

I began my quest to write the first book without any experience. I asked questions, scoured the internet for best solutions and became knowledgeable to self-publish my book. I started my own publishing company and will soon launch the book. I am using the POD (print on demand) method. My printer will print the quantity of books, I choose; based on my need.

Sometimes decisions regarding business details were based on my situation financially or my audience. Self-publishing has some limitations, but when you choose to self-publish a book; you remain the author and sole decision maker.
If it sounds easy and someone promises to provide a simple solution for several thousand dollars to publish a book for you- walk away!
For those of you wishing to self-publish, here are a few items to consider:

· Purchasing a domain name

· Searching for the lowest cost solution in creating an attractive webpage

· Blog topics for a blog

· Website content

· Joining social network sites

· Writing press releases

· Creating advertisement flyers

· Choosing an editor

· Graphics person

· Printer company

· Shipping method

· Postal rates

· Pricing

· Taxes

· eBook solutions

· eCommerce shopping carts

· Payment gateways

· Photo releases

· Scanning Photos

· Purchasing an ISBN and copyright registration

· Creating a PDF file specific to the printing company in Adobe Acrobat

Did I mention writing 10- 12 hours a day of writing during weekends?

3192488394_bf702ac952.jpg


(Photo created by: gilles chiroleu.)
Yes, writing a book can be a tedious task. But the educational aspect is priceless and the next book will be easier to publish, given your vast experience and knowledge! Don’t allow any company to take advantage of you.

 The 10 Best Secrets of Self-Publishing
  1. You don't need anyones permission to self-publish.
  2. You become a writer once you decide to write.
  3. Don't worry about mistakes, hire a good editor.
  4. Pre-plan the layout of the chapters in the book.
  5. Realize a book can be self-published cheaply as an ebook through online resources.
  6. Income from the ebook could help fund the hard copy book or vice-versa.
  7. Self-publishing and marketing are two separate aspects. Write first- worry about a website later.
  8. Take advantage of using books, community forums and YouTube for ideas and assistance.
  9. Perserverance is the biggest challenge in writing.
  10. Start today!
 Until We Meet Again,
 Jim Carver
Author: The Legacy of David A. Wells- The Lexington High School “Band of Gold”






Something Meaningful that Matters!

Disclaimer- Books and links on this website contain affiliate marketing sources between Jim Carver and 3rd party companies. I only recommend products, brands and businesses that I strongly support. Photos used on this site are used courtesy of the original authors and in no way endorse The Rust Belt Chronicles or my work. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips, Jim. It always feels nice to revisit a dream you had given up on.

    ReplyDelete