Saturday, November 24, 2012

Moving from Blogger to WordPress?

Photo courtesy: Search Engine People Blog.
The last couple of days, I've spent considerable time researching WordPress using Genesis Framework's custom themes. Since I am currently using Blogger, the move to WordPress is somewhat intimidating involving the transferring of my old blogs to WordPress platform.

The new web hosting service had me change the name server addresses to theirs and unfortunately the wait time is 2 to 48 hours to propagate. So I am in holding status and can't continue until my domain name appears at HostGator.

I spent the last day or so, researching the web on moving from Blogger to WordPress. During that time, I've considered canning the process entirely- a half-dozen times. Too many questions and it seems I keep coming up with more questions, once each previous question is resolved.

Blogger and WP doesn't cross communicate easily due to different formats so this becomes a large problem. Copying and pasting my blogs from Blogger to WordPress isn't an option I choose. There are many tutorials through YouTube and articles, however; a majority are outdated or assume the end-user is familiar with knowing where to perform the steps.

 Backing up your code from Blogger is imperative before you begin the process and not having anyone to  rely on for help if something fails doesn't make me breathe easier. It appears you must retain your old Blogger site or risk losing the old blog photos. Another option is to manually reload your old photos into WordPress, but that is too time consuming with nearly 100 old blogs.

Loss of Google page rankings has my concern as well.

It would be far easier to outsource the conversion, but it appears to be expensive and I haven't found many sources.

Then while writing this blog, I stumbled across this link. Problem solved? Pretty cool-eh?

 I realized "the lizard brain" (fear) had invaded my thinking. It's easier to stay on Blogger. It's less challenging to learn how to navigate a new software format.We are not accustomed to having to  wait for results. We want it done now.

 I must look at each step as a slow process. Rome wasn't built in a day and anything worth doing correct- takes time. WordPress, StudioPress and Genesis have some really cool plugins and themes, so it's just a matter of  learning some new techniques and navigational tools.

So for me this will be a side-project. No reason to stop the world until it happens or obsess. Just go with the flow and make the transition smooth.  Do the necessary researching, finding sources to answer questions as needed, forget the fear factor and pull the trigger when the time is right.

Anything less is not an option!
Until We Meet Again,
 Jim Carver
Author: The Legacy of David A. Wells- The Lexington High School “Band of Gold”
Something Meaningful that Matters!

www.successthroughmusic.com

Disclaimer- Books and links on this website contain affiliate marketing sources between Jim Carver and third party companies. I only recommend products, brands and businesses that I strongly support. Photos used on this site are used courtesy of the original authors and in no way endorse The Rust Belt Chronicles or my work. Thank you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment